Experiencing unscheduled downtime is something that every truck owner tries to avoid. It not only costsMORE MONEY to perform unscheduled truck repairs, it also takes a lot more time to perform these repairs. This makes it a good idea for every truck fleet maintenance manager to make sure that they have a plan in place when it comes to figuring out the best method for truck repair. This plan should contain very detailed notes about the repairs, including what needs to be done, how much time it’s going to take, and how much it’s going to cost.
Real Time Communication
Great communication is central to a positive and long lasting relationship between a fleet and a truck repair shop. For example, the shop might have the necessary truck repairs completed, but if they’re having trouble reaching the person in charge to let them know that the truck is ready for pickup, then the truck may sit there unnecessarily, costing the fleet an avoidable loss of money.
A system needs to be in place that will allow the shop to use real time management. This means that all of the information put into the system is updated consistently, which means that everyone is always on the same page. This will help to reduce any unscheduled downtime, which is a win-win for all involved. As of right now, the high majority of time truck drivers spend when experiencing unscheduled downtime is communicating back and forth about the truck repair. A minimal amount of time is spent on the actual truck repair.
Assess Your Communication Process
It’s highly recommended that every fleet takes a close look at any differences between estimated truck repair times and actual truck repair times. In order for all communication to be as efficient as possible, it’s important to create a communication process in which all of the important players are included.
A Few Tips:
- Create the best communication process you possibly can, which will allow for efficient communication between the fleet and the truck repair shop.
- Instead of using a manual data entry system, update to a real time management communication system.
- Make sure all billing is 100% accurate.
- Keep a close eye on how assets are being used, as well as how much is being spent on truck rental costs.
- Keep track of any CSA breaches that may have occurred as potential fines could become quite expensive.